YoWindow - Living Weather

Tuesday 5 April 2011

My Birthday Weekend Treat

Ok, technically this weekend should be my bday weekend as my bday falls in the middle of this week but since we can't go anywhere this weekend (SIL and kids are arriving this Sunday), Mi Amor surprised me with a weekend getaway last Saturday. If you read my previous post on how he surprised me with a trip to Madrid, he kinda used a similar tactic and yes, I fell for it again :P

We woke up early on Saturday (which is normal for me but highly unusual for Mi Amor) and Mi Amor told me to get ready as we were going on a road trip (he borrowed a colleague's car as she wasn't using it over the weekend). He also told me to pack just incase we might need to spend a night somewhere. Before we left the house and throughout our journey he kept asking me where would I like to go seeing as France, Italy and Germany were a few hours drive away and as usual I was like "where ever is fine with me" (I was just glad to be out of the house!). It wasn't until we were about an hour and a half into our trip that it dawned on me where we were going.......we were heading for Milan! You could say my epiphany was when we turned into the exit on the highway heading to Milan.....and then only did I realize that Mi Amor had been wearing an AC Milan jersey all the while! (which should have been a dead giveaway coz he wore an FC Barcelona jersey when we went to Barca, and a Real Madrid jersey when we went to Madrid....*face palm*)

When we arrived in Madrid, the first stop we made was at the San Siro stadium (but of course! :P ) as Mi Amor wanted to purchase tickets for the Inter vs Milan game that night. Then we checked into the hotel and this was what I saw upon entering the room:

Chocolates are way better than rose petals!

There was also a plate of biscuits, bowl of fruits and chips and a bottle of champagne (which should have been changed to something non alcoholic but they forgot). Apparently Mi Amor had arranged it with the hotel for my bday suprise..... :D
Seeing as it was almost 5pm and we hadn't had lunch, we ordered room service (the last time we ordered room service was during our honeymoon last year!)

Pasta Marinara
Pizza Margherita

Delicioso! After lunch, Mi Amor left for the stadium to watch the game while I lazed around in the room. Didn't feel like walking around coz I've been to Milan before and seen the touristy sights plus I found myself sinking deep into the bed that I was well past the point of no return (ahhhhhhh the pillows....just thinking of em' makes me sleepy). Seriously, it was lights out for me from then onwards!

After breakfast (technically brunch since we came down at 11am), we checked out of the hotel and decided to go to Como (since I saw a series on the travel channel a few years ago called "1000 places to see before you die" and Lake Como was on the list). We drove around Como for a bit to take in the sights and then went up the funicular to Brunate, a village on top of a hill, 500m above the lake. By right the view of the lake and the town from up the hill should be stunning but it looked quite hazy that day :<  We walked around the quaint village and when we found out there was a lighthouse, we decided to go up (found out the hard way that it takes a freaking half an hour hike just to get there! :P) I must have been the only person hiking wearing a pair of ballet flats and carrying around a handbag!

The drive around Como
Guess I don't belong to this city
One the way to the lighthouse...if you think this is steep, it only got worse
Made it up the lighthouse


The queue for the funicular going back down the hill was freaking long (the funicular arrives every 14 minutes) and I was surprised and annoyed at the fact that people did not know how to queue properly! (btw most of these people were Italians). A lot of pushing, squeezing and queue cutting going on (so HAH! to people who think that European countries are suppose to be more civilized than Asian countries). I lost count of the number of people who somehow managed to squeeze ahead in front of me but I was giving all of em' dirt stares behind my shades :P

Anyway, we left Como around 6, stopped by some shopping outlet village which was on our way home (we had only half an hour to shop before closing time which was 8pm) and continued our journey. We panicked at one point during the journey home coz the petrol meter read 0 and the signboard along the road stated that the next petrol station was 36km away. Both of us fell silent and started praying hard and after 10-15 minutes, by some miracle, the next sign we came across showed that the next petrol station was 2km away! After refueling and grabbing a quick dinner, we were back on the road and managed to arrive home safe and sound by 1am.

Mille grazie Mio Amo for the awesome birthday weekend treat....Ti amo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...